Every vehicle will experience wear and tear over time and if your vehicle is being hired out on a regular basis, this will expedite the process. By hiring out your car for additional miles per year it is sensible to assume that it will not be returned in the exact same condition, though the extra money earned should add as comfort. Hiyacar does not insure for normal wear and tear so please read the following guidelines below before listing your car and before making a claim so you can see what is and is not covered.
All vehicles require routine maintenance. The car owner is responsible for maintaining the cosmetic appearance and mechanical integrity as all cars need to be roadworthy and come as advertised in your car listing. Street parking comes with added risk and results in accelerated wear and tear over time. Hiyacar considers all deterioration including dents, scratches and other effects to the front and rear bumpers of street parked cars permissible provided it does not hinder the use or safe operation of the car.
Paint and Body
The paint and body of a vehicle will wear naturally over time. Accelerated wear will happen if the vehicles are not parked in a garage due to more frequent exposure to the elements.
- Minor dent (exterior): A depression or contouring on a single panel 2 inches or less in diameter.
- Minor scratch (exterior): Less than 3 linear inches in length.
Minor scratches or dents to bumpers and attached components are considered normal wear and tear provided the scratches are cosmetic in nature and do not compromise the safety and function of the vehicle. Street parked vehicles may experience accelerated wear.
- Minor dent: A depression or contouring on a single panel 2 inches or less in diameter.
- Minor scratch: Less than 3 linear inches in length.
Tyres and Alloys
Tyres and alloys experience wear and tear through routine driving and parking. Vehicles that are street parked may experience accelerated wear.
- 2mm is considered the end of the useful life of a tyre.
- An abrasion of 3 inches or less in length along the arc-length or face of the alloy.
Windscreen and Windows
Windscreen and windows will sustain wear over time both through the course of routine driving and routine use. Existing issues such as cracks and chips may show accelerated wear if neglected over time.
- 1 or 2 minor chips (not in field of vision).
- Cracks originating from a chip that has gone unattended and increased in length or severity over time or after successive trips.
- Dry, cracked, brittle, or loose weather stripping around windscreen/windows due to aging.
- Peeling or nicks to window tint.
Interior / Exterior trim, Carpet, Upholstery, and Controls
Interior items within a vehicle will deteriorate and/or break as a result of repetitive normal use.
- Interior Trim: Controls, window regulators, hinges, compartments, panels, handles, latches, and locks.
- Carpet and Upholstery: Weathered, soiled, torn, worn upholstery or carpets.
- Auto Accessories: Permanently and non-permanently attached equipment and accessories.
Mechanical and Transmission
Mechanical systems and their parts experience wear through the course of routine driving. Vehicles that are not maintained to the manufacturer's guidelines may experience accelerated wear during operation.
- Drivetrain: The system that connects the transmission to the drive axles. This includes the transmission, gearbox, differential, and drive shaft.
- Clutch: The system that connects and disconnects a vehicle engine from its transmission system. This includes the clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel and pedal with piston or pulley system.
- Brakes: The system that slows or stops a vehicle. This includes parking brake cables, park brake lever, master cylinder, brake lines, caliper, reservoir, pads, hoses, drums, rotors, shoes, and pedal.
- Suspension: The system that cushions a vehicle from road conditions. This includes springs, shocks and struts, linkages, bushings, control arm, leaf spring, torsion bar, anti-sway bars, tie rod, and knuckle.
Convertibles have specialised features that are distinct from other vehicles. These features may deteriorate through repetitive, routine use.
Convertibles: Hiyacar does not pay for weathered, soiled or worn convertible top upholstery arising from natural exposure to the elements. Additionally, hiyacar does not pay for tears or mechanical failure to a convertible top arising from its intended use. Example: Raising and lowering the top while the vehicle is parked.
Hybrid and Electric Vehicles
Hybrid and electric vehicles experience wear and tear similar to gas powered vehicles and require the same routine maintenance.
- Electric Drive Battery: A hybrid vehicle battery is similar to other batteries except that it is rechargeable and has enough power to move a large heavy vehicle down the road for a few feet or a few miles.
- Hybrid Drive Unit/Controller: A hybrid drive unit includes a hybrid mechanism having at least one electric motor and a transfer that distributes driving force to front and rear wheels.
- Charging Port: A part of the system that supplies electric energy for the charging of plug-in hybrid or electric vehicles.
Charging Station: (EVSE) Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment delivers electrical energy from an electricity source to charge a hybrid or electric battery.